Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Birthday Gift - My List

Happy birthday to me. Geezal I am getting old. Half of the visitors to this blog may groan and say, Get over yourself and the other half nod in agreement, Yes, over 40 is old.
I was struggling with this birthday the last few weeks. It is not getting older that bothers me, rather it is the time I have left that causes me distress. I realize that half of my life has passed. I love being here, on this earth with my family and friends and there is so much I have yet to accomplish. Some things I know I never will get to see or experience and that makes me sad.

We have one shot to do and see it all and  that’s quite a bit to fit into one earthly life. The list of places I want to see, lives I want to experience is so long that even the greatest adventurist could not cross them all off.  This may explain why I never understood people who say, There is nothing to do... Really?? How can that be? Given a free afternoon I find enough to fill up a free week, without leaving town. 

I think a Birthday List is on order. Not a list of things I want to buy myself to celebrate my birthday, rather a list of things I want to accomplish this coming year so on my next birthday I can give myself the gift of a richly lived year.

Writing
Why am I not writing for a living? I am not the best writer, that I know, but there has to be a place for me in the professional writing realm.  I have three wonderful book ideas- two garden based and one local travel.  I have started one of the garden books, it is slow going, but it is good, it has real potential; My City, My Garden…
So this year I will finish one book and set up the process I need to create the second book. How wonderful it will be to have a manuscript in a gift box to give myself next year. Even better if a publisher shows interest!

Running/Walking
I am sadly out of shape and it is really starting to bother me. I feel uncomfortable in my skin, self-conscious and I cannot do (running/walking) what I was able to do even a year ago. So my birthday gift to me next year is A) Best my PR at the Thanksgiving Day race, 6.2 miles. I will have to finish in under an hour.  B) Train to run a half marathon. YIKES!  Group training starts in January so I have until then to work up to a solid three miles.  

God
I will spend more time in prayer. I have much to be thankful for. I am rather private about such matters, so I shall leave it at that.

Learn to Relax
So I make a lovely to-do list and then say, relax. Am I setting myself up for failure here? If I am to accomplish all I want to accomplish I have to let my mind and body rest and rejuvenate otherwise I risk running myself into the ground.  Also have a full time job which stresses me greatly at times.  Time to relax, pray and exercise is exactly what I will need!

2 comments:

  1. Birthday gifts are one of the best ways of expressing your heartfelt emotion By giving gift we expressed our way of love to our dear and near ones. To make happier by giving them a birthday gift which they like more and more happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bdayo.Com was created with one goal in mind to help our users enjoy, celebrate, and remember their birthday! Bdayo allows you to find unlimited amount of Birthday Freebies in your area and offer unique features to help you learn more about that special day!

    ReplyDelete